BUT WAIT, WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT CARS?
1. It’s important to maintain your website just like you maintain your car.
Cars… you take care of them and generally, they will be dependable. But those oil changes and occasional service visits for your car, just like your website, are necessary to keep the motor running properly. If you don’t take care of them… you could be in trouble!
So how do I change the oil on my website?
2. Buying a new car gives you a lot of options.
You can get a Kia/Chevy, or an Audi/BMW, or even a Ferrari. They all drive on roads, but the experience is very different.
So there are different brands of websites?
3. Take time to “tidy up”
When you buy a new car, you usually clean out the glove compartment and throw away old candy wrappers. You don’t want to transfer all of that junk to the new car. Also, it is good to keep your new car nice and clean and make sure there are no empty soda cans lying about.
So you mean I have to “take out the trash” from my website?
4. Planning a website takes research, just like buying a car.
Buying a car takes time, research, and careful thought. Rushing in can cause buyer’s remorse and result in purchasing a car that doesn’t fit your needs. The last thing you want is a small compact car when you really needed the storage space and size of a large cargo van.
So I need to plan ahead? I can’t just start adding pages to a new site?
5. There are skills and expertise to maintaining your website, and your car.
When working on a car, the parts are only a small portion of the expense. You are also paying for the expertise and knowledge of the mechanic who is working on your car. Their experience and knowledge were learned from working on many different cars before working on yours.
I want to do all of the maintenance on my own website, can I do that?
For example, let’s say that you are very good at doing the updates (like changing the oil) and can do this on your own regularly. Then, all of a sudden your web host performs an upgrade to your PHP version and that upgrade is not compatible with a plugin or theme on your site. Now what? You suddenly have no idea how to fix your site and restore its functionality. You will need a reputable website developer to come in and assist with this more complex issue, very much like you need a mechanic to fix your engine block or change your brake pads.
Let’s look at the difference between having your oil changed by a professional, vs. you changing the oil at home.
Oil Change at Home
- No rack to raise the car
- You may or may not have the tools.
- If you have them, you are not sure where they went since it has been a while since you had to change the oil.
- You have to make sure to go purchase the oil and filter.
Oil Change by a professional
- They have a rack to raise the car so that the work can be easily done. (We have a staging site that is like a rack.)
- They have the tools (We can easily stage and update protecting the live site.)
- They have experience with many different cars, (We have worked with many sites and do this often. Our experience allows us to predict problems and ensure we do a thorough check.)
- If a part (plugin) starts acting up, we know a lot about the different plugins available and can help fix the issue or find a replacement that will do the same thing.
6. Hosting is like finding the right parking place for your car.
One of the most important choices you will make besides your website designer will be the location where your website will be hosted. If you have a brand new car, you probably do not want to park that car on a busy street, or in a neighborhood with a lot of vandalism. The same is true for your website.
My current hosting plan is very affordable, can I just have you work on my site there?
7. Some websites and cars are maintenance-heavy
In some cases, cars can be lemons and need a lot of work to keep them running. Oftentimes, it is best to look at a completely new car because it will be more affordable in the long run. The same can be true for a website.